Haslehurst And Powerday Win Olympia London
24th April 2019
Haslehurst Waste Management & Recycling and Powerday have won a new three-year contract for the iconic event venue in Kensington, West London.
Olympia London, which opened in 1886 hosts more than 220 events welcoming over 1.6 million visitors each year. The venue has a strong commitment to sustainability and was one of the founders of the International Standard for sustainable event management (ISO 2012-1).
Powerday has worked closely with Haslehurst for over eight years and the partnership has delivered recycling and waste management services to Olympia London since 2011.
Haslehurst provides the collection and haulage services, transporting the waste to
Powerday’s Old Oak Sidings Materials Recycling Facility in Willesden Junction, less than four miles from Olympia.
Since 2011, working with Haslehurst and Powerday, Olympia London has recycled 98% of all waste produced with the remaining 2% being processed into refuse-derived fuel. Food waste goes for anaerobic digestion. In 2017, Olympia London launched its ‘Grand Plan’, a strategy for ‘championing green practice, connecting communities, and empowering staff, service partners and event industry peers’.
Emma Haslehurst, Director, Haslehurst says: “With its central London location and busy event schedule, Olympia London has very specific collection requirements which our team have worked hard to meet. We are delighted that our commitment to high service standards has paid off with the renewal of this contract and we look forward to continuing to work with Powerday and Olympia London for a long time to come”.
Simon Little, Sales & Marketing Director, Powerday says: “We are very pleased to renew this contract with Haslehurst and Olympia London. Our close proximity to the venue, 24/7 opening, and state-of-the-art processing capability mean we are ideally placed to help Olympia London achieve its high sustainability standards.”
Siân Richards, Olympia London’s Sustainability Manager says: “We are delighted to have renewed our contract with Haslehurst and Powerday, a partnership which strongly supports our Grand Plan objectives and reinforces our longstanding commitment to reducing our carbon footprint, increasing recycling and sending 0% to landfill.”
In early 2019, Olympia London announced that planning permission had been granted for a
£1bn transformation to turn the venue into a world-leading cultural hub for arts, entertainment, events and creative business.
We were pleased to have awarded this contract to Powerday. They have delivered their services efficiently and reliably, achieved high recycling rates and 100% recovery, meeting our requirements throughout the project. They have been easy to deal with, reasonable and fair. We have been particularly impressed with their account management and waste reporting capabilities
Dave France, Project Director, Ecoworld Ballymore